Up yours
home | email whe | email bex | g*book | forum  | bexcam | whecam | cams

Freak of Nature or Miracle?

Saturday, December 08, 2001

When I think back to the time that I was confirmed in the Catholic Church, at the tender age of 13, I shudder. I told my parents I didn't want any part of it because I was already becoming somewhat disillusioned with the Catholic faith. Of course my parents (especially my mother) insisted upon it.

Being forced into the process anyway, I had to chose a "saint's name" as my confirmation name. My mother wanted me to take Saint Teresa and, mainly because of this, I decided I wanted someone else. I mean, fuck, if I was stuck doing it the least she could concede me was the damn name I was going to use. So I decided to do a little research and thought that Saint Bernadette probably wouldn't be too bad. At the age of 14, she apparently had visions of The Virgin Mary by some stream in Lourdes, France. The stream became famous for its healing properties after that and Bernadette joined a convent and became a nun. She died, at the age of 35, on April 16, 1879.

That's about all I really knew about Saint Bernadette until last night. While flipping channels, I came across a show called Morbid Curiosities or something like that. It had a feature story on Bernadette. I learned that her body remained buried in a damp grave for thirty years until the cause for beatification (the first step towards sainthood) was taken up. She was exhumed, and what I didn't know is that her body looked exactly the same as it had on the day she died. It still looks the same, as in the photo above, 122 years later.

As much as I still regret being confirmed in the Catholic Church, at least I know that the saint I chose has a sort of freakish story...

What's It All About?
Features
Past Blahs
Cam-O-Rama
Friends
  • more


  • Curiosities
    Extras
    This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?


    Sharing airspace with








    eXTReMe Tracker


    Banner photo is of Niagara

    Contents © We Hate Everyone